Saturday, October 5, 2013

We're Camping in the Rain, just Camping in the Rain...

While we were in Idaho we were planning to camping with Jeff shortly after we got home. The kids were so excited and there was no way we could back out, even though the low was 73 degrees with a 20% chance of rain. Buescher State Park is located east of Austin, but past Bastrop and all the burnt down areas, it was so wonderful to see a pine tree! We packed and planned all day, and the excitement and anticipation was really high. And this is how our camping trip started...

On our drive to the park it started raining, really really hard.
When we arrived at our campsite, a cub scout leader let us know that all of the spots were going to be filled up with little 10 year old cub scouts. I couldn't think of anything I'd rather do, so we decided to go to the primitive/walk-in campsite instead. We had a nice evening with friends and built a fire. The air was so heavy and humid, it was pretty miserable inside the tent and the kids had a hard time falling asleep because of it. Brett was torn because he was to have the sleeping bag experience but he was so darn hot he couldn't. Then at about 5 am a few sprinkles fell through our tent and so Jeff set up the rain fly and packed all of our other stuff out to the van. The sprinkles turned into full on sheets of rain, with thunder and lightning so close, I was scared for our lives. Everything was soaked and/or muddy. I really wanted to pack up and leave and go get doughnuts, but Brett really wanted to catch a fish with Brother Brud, so we stayed.

We saw an owl on our way to the lake.

Ready to get out on the lake!

My little fishermen. It was a beautiful misty morning on Buescher Lake.

Midway through fishing, Kelsey decided she needed a little siesta. 
I had Brett and Dantzel on my kayak with me and that meant two kids with hooks, scary. I casted out for them and they would reel it in. I cast out Dantz's line and handed her the pole. She would reel and then get distracted for a bit and then reel again. I finally took the pole from her and was reeling it the rest of the way in and there was a fish on the end. I handed it back to her and she was so excited to have caught her first fish, a little bass. 
Brett was reeling in his line and felt a little wiggle and said "mommy I think I got one". I lifted up the line and sure enough out came a little perch. Brett was SO proud and tells everyone about it! 
This camping trip ended up being beautiful, fun and memorable.

No comments: